Tuesday 20 May 2014

miscellaneous

Short of money to throw at the little bandit the only progress I have manage to
make over the past months has been to tackle few miscellaneous jobs on the b4, as well as improving on the working space around the bandit. This is partly due to time on my hands' Back in January a guy came out to do a immobiliser job £250 on my van and at the time I didn't know that he hadn't done a bona-fide job which came back in April to bite me. I'm my own boss and work over past year or two hasn't been that great but this year work has pick-up and looking good? That's is till I came across this guy, in the end another guy and some £800 later and with the van unable to move for three weeks while we wait for free-run control module. Just think what I could have brought with that for the b4. I've always tried to keep bit of back-up money in business account for that rainy day, which got me thinking lets use some of this on bandit! Otherwise, what's the point of it all? . But hang on now the car due for a MOT...you'll can't win!

 
 Anyway !!
With the swingarm back in for the moment and shining, there still few light scratches showing through which needs bit more 1000/1200 paper and then back on the polish machine. I've decided to polish the whole swingarm and not to paint any of it as I think it may look a bit funny even though it means more polishing.

I've also rethought the rearsets, still keeping the original sets but reworking them but will cut the remaining backing plates off now.
As I have with many other parts on the bike is to remove the casts processing marks "burrs marks" on the front wheel, first with a file, then sandpaper P40/80 which is where I'm at the moment. Next step with P150/220 then wet and dry paper 400/600/800 and not forgetting too rounded off all the   hard edges. The rear wheel I'm holding off until I know how the drilling of the broken disc bolts works out, one thing I will say' Stay away from easy-outs, there don't work and just make matters worse.

The undertray backing plates have come along a long way since the two photos that I posted awhile ago and is where I made the most process lately and now I need to finally order some fiberglass materials to see if all my hard work has paid off. (no photo)


The twin headlights were inspired by the old Triumph Speed Triple bug eyes, I'm not such a fan of the more modern triple lights. The lights here are Bates and the light units themself need replacing so I'm after new set of twin headlights and have tried finding a new set online without much luck. Yes there's lot out there but most not to my liking? I've never really liked the Bates set of lights I used. I have thought of going back to a single headlamp but I don't think I will. As you can see in the photo I'm also looking at mounting them in another way to unclutter tops of the forks, again bit like the triple's, would mean welding a block to headstock to mount them off and could work the steering stops in too?. If I mount headlights in this way maybe set of lights off a old Triple but the cheapest I've seen so far is £210+.The tach-clock cover has a bit of damage and therefore have wondered about painting the covers to go with black set headlights as there's is already a lot of polished items!.


On the last build I cut lot of the wiring that was packed into the original single headlamp, this time around I wish to improve on my work and tidy things up by taking out some wires that are no longer needed like the old orange and red headlamp wires. The wiring on the floor is my relays and wiring I put in to handily the twin headlights, I place the two relays near the CDI but now I fitted an undertray I will remount them near the battery and cut down on the run of wire from relays to lamps.
      

2 comments:

El Gringo said...

Looking good Unique! :)

Unique said...

Hi El Gringo' Thanks, I haven't seen any update on your build for the past two months! Hope all is going well with yours?.
Still nothing really happens of great interest with mine and I haven't gone near it for past week or so.